Angered by Boko Haram’s persistent attacks on soft targets, President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered security agencies to take the battle to the insurgents, adding that this will once and for all rout the terrorists.
While reacting to the bloody attacks by sect on Garkida community in Adamawa State, in a statement, the Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity to the President, Mallam Garba Shehu, said, “In the coming weeks, Nigerians would witness an aggressive campaign to rout Boko Haram, once and for all.
“Security will continue to be well-funded, despite the competing needs of social services. I appeal to Nigerians to continue to support our troops in their gallant efforts to protect the citizens and secure the country.”
Describing resurgence of attacks on soft targets by the terror group as a propaganda strategy to cover its weakened status, President Buhari condemned the killing of innocent people, even as he commiserated with the families of victims, giving assurance that no part of Nigeria would be abandoned to their fate.
He said, “These attacks on soft targets by the terrorists are obvious signs of frustration because my administration has significantly weakened Boko Haram’s military capability to invade and hold Nigerian territory unchallenged.
“Our gallant forces deserve our appreciation for repelling the attackers, but they must go beyond this point. They have our full support to go after the terrorists and have them pay a huge price. I want to assure the country that terrorists will continue to face the combined power of our military until they give up their mistaken ways.
“These occasional and episodic attacks on poor civilians by the terrorists are mere propaganda efforts to portray them as strong to fool the public into believing that they haven’t been militarily weakened by our gallant troops.”
The President said that since the advent of his administration on May 29, 2015, Boko Haram’s ability to invade and occupy territories and hoist flags had been frustrated.