By Olajide Omojolomoju
A spate of unexplained deaths have ravaged Kano metropolis in the last three days; with the state government in quandary over measure to arrest the ugly situation.
At Dandoli Cemetery in Gordon Dutse, for example, cemetery attendants and undertakers said that 61 dead were buried between Saturday and Sunday alone.
According to them, 43 dead persons were buried on Saturday, while 18 more were buried on Sunday.
The story is not different at the Gyadi-gyadi Cemetery on Court Road within the metropolis, where 31 corpses were said to have been buried on Saturday alone.
On same Saturday, another 27 corpses were said to have been interred at the Farm Centre Cemetery, also within the metropolis.
At the Abattoir Cemetery, around Kofar Mazugal, also within the metropolis, 13 persons from Zango quarters alone were buried within three days last week.
Between Friday and Sunday, an undisclosed number of corpses from Chedi, Dorayi, Ciromawa, Sharifai, Zage, were buried at the Abattoir Cemetery.
Meanwhile, the Kano State Ministry of Health is yet to make any official statement on the rising death incidences; but a health official at Zage, pleading anonymity and who claimed to have attended to a number of patients, said those deaths were nit in ant way related to COVID-19.
He explained that none of the cases he attended to showed any COVID-19-related symptoms; adding that a number of the payients “have high blood pressure, ulcer, diabetics, and even malaria.”
He said, “I noticed that some are really short of the usual medications they use to manage their ailments. They are equally short of food, so malnutrition sets in.
“Now, with the lock-down in effect, and health officials in primary healthcare centres absconding from work, when any complication arises, it leads to death in no time.”
Efforts to reach the state Commissioner for Health before his eventual sack, for him to comment on the mysterious death ravaging the state proved abortive, as his phone number was unreachable.