Nigeria’s President Muhammadu Buhari says he had no involvement in the decision to dethrone the emir of Kano.
Some politicians have suggested that Muhammadu Sanusi II was removed from the hugely influential position on Monday on the orders of the president.
Presidential spokesman Garba Shehu tweeted that “all such insinuations” were “untrue, malicious and politically motivated”.
He said the president prayed that God’s will would be done at all times and that Kano and its people would “continue to experience progress irrespective of who was on the throne”.
Mr Sanusi, an ex-governor of the central bank, had fallen out with Kano Governor Abdullahi Ganduje, and had opposed his re-election last year.
Afterwards, Mr Ganduje, who is a powerful figure within Mr Buhari’s governing All Progressives Congress (APC) party, split the Kano emirate into five and appointed four more emirs – to weaken Mr Sanusi’s influence.
The emir, who came to the throne in 2014, was then deposed on Monday for showing “insubordination” to the authorities in the northern state of Kano.
Lawyers representing the ousted emir have demanded that he be released from detention in a remote area of Nasarawa state – south-east of the capital Abuja.
They are also challenging a tradition that says because he was dethroned, Mr Sanusi should be banished from the emirate of Kano for the rest of his life.